Author Topic: Single Image Output Not Recognised in Fusion?  (Read 2461 times)

Offline Julian Baum

• Pixlet
Single Image Output Not Recognised in Fusion?
« on: May 06, 2017, 10:23:47 AM »
I am having a struggle getting image outputs to work, notably SurfaceID and ObjectID, as those happen to be the ones I need right now.  Hopefully I'm just being particularly thick.

I have it working fine from a multi-layer EXR, out of exrTrader, but if I output the SurfaceID as a single image, Fusion is not reporting the ID numbers, whether from the Loader, or if I send that to a Channel Boolean.

Am I missing something about using individual image outputs for the various buffers?

Thanks.

Offline lightwolf

• infiniMap / exrTrader / shaderMeister developer
  • Administrator
  • Tera Pixel Renderer
  • Obfuscated SDK Hacker
    • db&w GbR
Re: Single Image Output Not Recognised in Fusion?
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2017, 01:50:11 PM »
How are you loading the single images into Fusion? Do you manually assign which channels to load?

Cheers,
Mike
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treatment. (Kent Beck)

Visit us on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/dbw.finest.plugins

Offline Julian Baum

• Pixlet
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2017, 11:28:45 PM »
I have one EXR, for instance, which is only the Material ID.  Red, green, blue and alpha all contain SurfaceID, and I manually add the Surface ID to the MaterialID channel.  However, adding that to the mask input of a colour processing node, like BC, doesn't allow me to set or pickup the surfaceID.  All I get are RGBA values.  If I try to separate the surfaceID from the loader via a boolean, it still doesn't work.

The loader also reports this error:

OpenEXR: Error reading pixel data from image file "D:\NetRender\LW_Content\LW_EatonVilla_Second_Cutaway\Renders\BallsSurface ID001.exr". No frame buffer specified as pixel data destination.

If I export a multilayer file, assign the ID channels manually in the loader menu, I can connect to both the input and mask of a BC, for instance, and it works as expected, without problem.

I also tried running the SurfaceID image EXR through a Color Space node to try to adjust its output, but that made no difference.  The error suggests the surfaceID channel isn't there, but if I view the output normalised, selecting the surfaceID, I can see each surface has a different grey level.

I still think I may be misunderstanding how to work with images - the multilayer EXRs I have little trouble with, but individual channels in individual images seems to be more difficult to work with.

Thanks.

Offline lightwolf

• Administrator
  • Tera Pixel Renderer
  • Obfuscated SDK Hacker
    • db&w GbR
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »

Hi Julian,

O.k., I see.

Two things, if you want to pick the ID in a mask input, then load it in as the Coverage channel, which can be selected besides RGBA.

Loading the two ID channels allows you to pick them in the "nuclear" tab of individual tools, if you activate "Use Material"/"Use Surface".

If you'd like to, send me sample images and a flow, I'll have a look at it (michael.wolf@db-w.com)

I have seen that error every now and then as well, haven't tracked it down though (I'm running 7.x and 8.x here).

Cheers,
Mike
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treatment. (Kent Beck)

Offline Julian Baum

• Pixlet
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2017, 09:07:00 PM »
Thanks Mike.  I'll try that, and I'll also send a flow plus images.  As I say, multilayer works fine, and actually I don't have big reasons not to use that.  But I also like all options open.

Offline Kogan

• Pixlet
  • LightWave User
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 09:42:05 AM »
Any solutions to this error? Appears I'm having the same issue.

Offline lightwolf

• Administrator
  • Tera Pixel Renderer
  • Obfuscated SDK Hacker
    • db&w GbR
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2017, 01:52:10 PM »
Any solutions to this error? Appears I'm having the same issue.
I'll have a look at my correspondence to see what we came up with.

Cheers,
Mike

Offline lightwolf

• Administrator
  • Tera Pixel Renderer
  • Obfuscated SDK Hacker
    • db&w GbR
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2017, 10:59:45 AM »
O.k., it seems that we never continued on this. I'll have to build a test case and check. I suspect that Fusion might not like EXRs without any RGBAY channels.
Two things to try:
* If using the native EXR image format, rename the channel to Y or A
* Use one of the non-native savers.

Cheers,
Mike

anything